Contact us and make your reservation!
Country House Los Laureles.
C/ de la Horcajada, 20
C.P. 05500 Piedrahita - Avila
Tlf: +34 653094024 | +34 920362892
Los Laureles in video...
The Town Hall or City Hall is located on the west side of the Main Square of the Village. We do not know the exact year of its founding but originally it had a double function: Hall and jail. The oldest rest that remains of this construction is a slab that is on the first floor of City Hall and that originally was part of a window in 1598.
Subsequently, in 1618, the construction of the building procedures that today houses the present Town Hall began. Following a provision of the Duke of Alba, on November 8 of 1618, the construction works are drawn to the contract but year after year suffered multiple funding problems to the point that in late 1620 the works were stopped. However in 1621 the works were recommenced and in September of that year the second floor had already been raised. In 1623 was the closing of the roof so that the work must be substantially completed. Just a century after that date the Hall had to be performed again with deep renovations so the facade was rebuilt leaving only of the original one 5 arches of the arcades. Around the same time the windows today are oriented towards the Plaza Mayor were opened, adorning the central balcony with an overhang that has undergone several changes throughout its history.
Later in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries different alterations in its facade took also place, so for example the balcony is extended to the three windows on the second floor or at the bottom of the facade were built two kiosks, one left and one right being the latest one a hat shop.
MORENO BLANDO, Raimundo, "Sobre el Edificio del Ayuntamiento" en Libro de Ferias y Fiestas del año 2005, Ayuntamiento de Piedrahíta, 2005. pp 55 y 57